Monday, July 18, 2011

Oh, man.

     My first true powder day of the season... Remember all that angst? Remember my pain? Well the higher ups here in Portillo recognized my suffering and permitted me to ski yesterday. That's putting it lightly. Management gave my buddies and I  the go-ahead to shred the gnar, to lay serious turns, and enjoy the best day of skiing that I've had since... well, since February. Skiing in July is one thing; getting untracked powder during peak summers months is what really gets me.

El Sol de Portillo
    Plateau, Condor, la Garganta, it was all fresh. And as soon as something started getting torn up, we just traversed further over. Portillo is like that. From the get go, the only ones competing for fresh lines were a handful of instructors and my diverse little group of employee buds. To quote my friend Morgan, "this was the most relaxed powder day of my life!" The guy's from Aspen, and he's used to cutthroat tactics, selfish abandon when it comes to new snow. At Portillo, the vibe is different. We took our time. We took pictures for god's sake! I mean, why not? It was a beautiful day, with little to no competition. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but it's simply the truth: it's an empty mountain with tons of unskied, off-piste goodness. It wasn't your typical powder day. It was better. Now for the evidence (thanks for the pics, Mo!):

Below Plateau
Mid-day chair
Tele-Mo
the receptionist





No comments:

Post a Comment